[XeTeX] Problem updating TeXLive in Windows

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Fri Dec 19 09:07:31 CET 2008

Dear Joachim

Thanks for the encouragement.  I'll try to make time to experiment over the
next few days, but I am finding some very odd things in the TeXLive 2008
distribution (in the pure 'out-of-the-box' state after installation from the
DVD).  The worst so far is that something like:

\font \umirnine =
[d:/texfiles/outlfont/MinionPro-Regular]:+onum:mapping=tex-text:letterspace=1.5
at 9pt

no longer gives me tex-text mapping (so, for example, when I type --- I get
three hyphens, not an em-dash, and when I type ` and ' I get these
characters and not proper quotation marks).  I don't remember having to do
anything special with the 2007 distribution but I guess I'll just have to
roll my sleeves up and investigate what's going on.  I always seem to be
*fighting* TeX whenever I install it (which is why for a lot of my work I'm
still using a 1995 EmTeX distribution which behaves perfectly and migrates
from one computer to another just by copying over the whole directory).

Best

John