[XeTeX] Problem updating TeXLive in Windows

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Tue Dec 16 23:09:57 CET 2008

Thanks for the response.

I think it may well be a bug.  I followed the directory path manually on the
mirror site and the path is correct.  But a name change in a file somewhere
might well have caused the process to falter.

I've now uninstalled XeTeX from the machine and reinstalled it, this time
trying the GUI to update the installation from the Web.  This fails too:
everything works as expected until the last step, when the GUI puts up a
message to say that some elements have to be updated by closing the GUI down
and running the batch file updater.bat.  But alas, that results in an error
message, and after that point it's impossible to access the TeXLive Manager
at all - it simply aborts.  I've done this twice now, so it wasn't a chance
fluke.

Thus, it seems that currently there is no reliable way to update the
installation on a Windows XP machine - though no doubt some packages could
be updated manually without doing damage, simply by replacing an older
version of the relevant files with an updated one.  But this is clearly not
very satisfactory.

Best

John