[XeTeX] Problem updating TeXLive in Windows

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Tue Dec 16 14:54:16 CET 2008

Dear list

Following Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard's helpful message of 9 November, I've finally got round to installing the 2008 distribution of XeTeX on a spare computer running Windows XP Pro (jealously guarding my 2007 installation until I'm sure all is OK).  Immediately after installation I typed

tlmgr option location http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008

But at the next line of Manuel's instruction, viz.:

tlmgr update bin-texlive texlive.infra

the routine fails, producing the following error message on screen:

Cannot read any package from http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb, seems not to be a TLPDB! Cannot load Tex Live database from http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
 at c:/program Files/texlive/2008/texmf/scripts/texlive/tlmgr.pl line 616

And thus I never get to the third element of Manuel's instructions, viz.:

tlmgr update --all

I've tried it a couple of times, and the same error is produced.  Is it a bug, or do I just give up and go over to a Mac? (!)  I would certainly like to be able to acquire the latest version painlessly, whenever a new element is added that would be of use to me.

Best

John