[XeTeX] xetex and Telugu

Anand Chitipothu anandology at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 08:21:59 CET 2008

I was experimenting with xetex to see if it can work with Telugu language.

After installing BasicTex on my mac from
http://www.tug.org/mactex/morepackages.html, I ran xelatex on a sample
tex file.
The generated pdf didn't have any characters that were present in the
tex source and the following errors were found in the transcript.

Missing character: There is no <E0><B0><A4> in font cmr10!
Missing character: There is no <E0><B1><86> in font cmr10!
Missing character: There is no <E0><B0><B2> in font cmr10!
Missing character: There is no <E0><B1><81> in font cmr10!
Missing character: There is no <E0><B0><97> in font cmr10!
Missing character: There is no <E0><B1><81> in font cmr10!

I have Pothana.ttf font installed on my machine.
Can somebody please advise me on how to make xetex work with Telugu fonts?