[XeTeX] How to change class elements?

snvv101 snvv101 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 14:39:59 CET 2008

On Friday 05 December 2008 20:28:49 Gareth Hughes wrote:
> snvv101 wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I would like to rename various elements of the book class.
> > I tried in the preamble  \renewcommand\chaptername{Κεφάλαιο} but it does
> > not work.
> > I use texlive 2007 in debian sid.
> > Thank you
> > sn
>
> Hi sn!
>
> Have you had a look at Polyglossia?
>
> Simply add:
>
> \usepackage{polyglossia}
> \setdefaultlanguage{greek}
>
> This should render all standard text as Greek. I'm not sure why the
> \renewcommand does not work here, but it could be an encoding issue.
> François should be able to add more.
>
> Gareth.

Hello Gareth.
Thank you for your suggestion. It was actually an encoding problem.  I solved
it by using:
\usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}
\usepackage[slantedGreek]{mathpazo}
\usepackage[slantedGreek]{mathptmx}

Unfortunately, Polyglossia does not included in texlive included in TL2007.
I am not sure how to install latest xetex but I think TL2008 (which includes
the latest xetex) soon will hit the debian repos.

Regads,
sn