[XeTeX] Another Bug of XeTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Fri Dec 5 12:22:30 CET 2008

On 6 Dec 2008, at 00:00, VAFA KHALIGHI wrote:

> if you try the following minimal plain TeX document:
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> This is a test.
> \leftline{Vafa Khalighi}
> \end
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> You get the result that is one of my attachments. (acceptable).

It only looks OK because the lines are so short. Note that it is not
really what might have been "expected"; your name does not occur flush-
left on a line. Using \leftline (or \centerline or \rightline) within
the text of a paragraph doesn't really make sense; these commands
create an entire line, and should be used in vertical mode (between
paragraphs), not within them.

> But if you try the following example
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> \TeXXeTstate=1
> \font\body="XB Zar:script=arab" at 12pt\body
> \beginR
> این یک آزمایش است.
> \rightline{\body وفا خلیقی}
> \end
>
> You get a strange behaviour from XeTeX which is shown in the other
> attachment.

Put \par or a blank line before \rightline, to end the paragraph.

Clearly Knuth didn't intend  the \....line commands to be used quite
like this. You could redefine them to include an initial \par, I
suppose.