[XeTeX] Testing required; was: Please help me with \XeTeXinterchartoks

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Tue Dec 2 20:39:54 CET 2008

On 3 Dec 2008, at 02:45, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> Am Wed, 3 Dec 2008 00:02:33 +1030 schrieb Will Robertson:
>
>> On 02/12/2008, at 11:50 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>>
>>> I think it should go in a file which can be loaded before
>>> unicode-letters so that it can be use there for the first settings.
>>
>> I may be speaking out of line here, but I find it kind of weird that
>> some of the CJK charclass stuff is set up in unicode-letters at all.
>
> Yes, it surprised me too, when I made some test with
> \XeTeXcharclass ;-)

Sorry for the surprise! The justification (FWIW) would be that the
assignments there are derived from the Unicode character database, so
I think it's reasonable to provide these as a default starting-point.

> That's why I would like it very much, if all charclasses are allocated
> in a better way.

This is definitely true; I should have done that from the beginning.

Will: I think a version of your \newcharclass (or perhaps
\newXeTeXcharclass is better) macro should go into the format itself.
We could put it in unicode-letters.tex, I suppose, but that's
essentially a data file, so probably best to have it in a new little
file that can be loaded from xetex.ini and xelatex.ini before reading
unicode-letters.