[XeTeX] Ligatures not working using Utopia

Markus Gritsch m.gritsch at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 13:52:27 CEST 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 5:23 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at web.de> wrote:

> Am 26.08.2008 um 13:48 schrieb Markus Gritsch:
>
>> Without the fifl-ligs mapping file, XeTex does not use these
>> ligatures.
>
> Because the PostScript fonts are still in use. Check with pdfinfo!
> Create good test cases with the ExternLocation option to fontspec.

It seems that using an OTF version of a font is not sufficient for
XeTeX to use the fi and fl ligatures.  I converted the Utopia Type1
Font included with MiKTex 2.7 using two different programs:

CrossFont [1] -> Utopia-Regular.otf
TransType Pro [2] -> UTOPIA-R.OTF

The attachment to this email contains both converted fonts, a minimal
example using fontspec's ExternalLocation option, and the resulting
PDF.

Although both fonts are OpenType fonts, only the conversion by
TransType Pro (UTOPIA-R.OTF) makes XeTeX using the ligatures.

As always, Adobe InDesign CS3 automatically uses the ligatures also in
Utopia-Regular.otf.

Kind regards,
Markus

[1] http://www.acutesystems.com/scrcf.htm