[XeTeX] 00F5 low line - problems?

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Wed Aug 20 18:55:31 CEST 2008

On 20 Aug 2008, at 5:24 PM, Daniel Stender wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I've got problems with a 005F (LOW LINE) "_", the xelatex run stops
> with:
>
> ! Missing $ inserted.
> <inserted text>
>                $
> l.28 ... ihrer Klasse auf. Vorläufige Regeln: n/_
>                                                  velar > ṅ
> ?
>
> What's happening?

The underscore (low line) U+005F is TeX's usual marker to introduce a
subscript, and is only permitted in math mode; that's why it is
complaining of a missing $ (math mode switch).

If you want _ to be a regular printable character, and don't care
about using it for subscripts in math, you can simply say

   \catcode"5F=12

to switch it to category "other". (See The TeXbook for full details of
character categories, etc.)