[XeTeX] XeLaTeX and \href{run:....}

Benjamin Sanda bensanda at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 01:47:43 CEST 2008

Hi,

I'm having a problem when using hyperref and XeTeX version: 0.999.2 from the
MikTeX 2.7 distro. I'm using the \href command to link to a executable
program in the pdf. Ex:

\href{run:install.exe}{Install Program}

I have used this method before when using pdfLaTex and it worked just fine.
When I take the exact same code and compile it with XeLaTeX however the link
does not behave the same in the resultant pdf. Instead the pdf reads it as a
file: link and attempts to open the source in a web browser. I have
compaired the actual pdf code and it seems the run: dirrective is being
interprited differently in the XeTeX case: Ex:

pdfLaTeX output:

68 0 obj <<
/Type /Annot
/Border[0 0 0]/H/I/C[0 .7 .7]
/Rect [239.419 671.714 540.996 686.459]
/Subtype/Link/A<</F(Install.msi)/S/Launch/NewWindow true>>
>> endobj

XeLaTeX output:

13 0 obj
<<
/Type/Annot
/Subtype/Link
/Border[0 0 0]
/C[0 1 1]
/A<<
/S/URI
/URI(file:Install.msi)

/Rect[240.408 542.633 540 562.818]

endobj

In the pdfLaTeX case I have hyperref loaded with the "pdftex" option, and in
the XeTeX case the "xetex" option.
Has anyone else encountered this issue or have any ideas?

Thanks,
Ben Sanda