[XeTeX] Underfull \vbox warning when using `listings'

Forrest Y. Yu forrest.yu at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 04:10:39 CEST 2008

> >   I'm trying to list some source code using the package `listings'.
> > It works very good when the code is short. However, when the code is
> > long enough to cover at lease one whole page, XeLaTeX gives a
> > warning like this:
> >
> >         Underfull \vbox (badness 10000) has occurred while \output
> > is active [2]
>
> This is just a guess: before the code starts, put
>   \raggedbottom
> and after the code ends put
>   \flushbottom
>
> I suspect there's no stretchability between the lines of listings
> code, so there's no way that (Xe)TeX can exactly fill up the page like
> it wants to. (In a two-sided book, the goal is to have the textblock
> finish at the same position on each facing page.)
>
> Hope this works!
> Will

hi Will, it works! :)

Thank you very much!

And I found that in two-sided book, this underfull \vbox warning
occurs frequently, so maybe I should put \raggedbottom in the
preamble. I tried to do so and found the pages do not look very
ragged. Maybe it's `bad' from (Xe)TeX's point of view, but it's fairly
good for my book -- there're many codes inserted in the text.

Best Regards,
Forrest (YYu)

--
Stupid is as stupid does.