[XeTeX] Where download Vanilla XeTeX

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Wed Aug 13 13:58:13 CEST 2008

Le 13 août 08 à 12:14, Paolo Matteucci a écrit :

> Just one last question: as far as you/anybody know/s, will
> MacTeX-2008 override the files in my current TeX installation, or
> will it create yet another directory structure on my machine?

MacTeX-2008 will create a new directory structure /usr/local/texlive/
2008, and install everything there (plus applications and ReadMe files
inside /Applications, and -- if you decide to use the GUI for the new
TeX Live Manager -- Perl/Tk inside /Library/Perl and /usr/local/bin).

The rest of the answer depends upon whether you're currently using
MacTeX-2007 or gwTeX:

- MacTeX-2007 installs inside /usr/local/texlive/2007 and creates a
folder /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local for your local additions. This
latter folder takes precedence, in the sense that /usr/local/texlive/
texmf-local is searched before /usr/local/texlive/<year>/texmf-dist.
Now, when you compile XeTeX from source, if I'm not mistaken the
binaries are installed inside /usr/local/texlive/2007 and other files
(LaTeX packages, formats etc.) inside /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local.
Hence, when later you'll install MacTeX-2008, it's advisable to erase
all XeTeX-related components from /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local to
avoid them interfering with those in MacTeX-2008.

- gwTeX installs inside /usr/local/gwTeX and creates folders /usr/
local/gwTeX/texmf.pkgs for local additions and /usr/local/
gwTeX.texmf.local for TeX admin overrides (formats etc.). I don't
remember in which of the two XeTeX is installed when compiled from
source.

In any case, given you seem to be using gwTeX currently, a later
install of MacTeX-2008 will be completely unaffected by anything
you've installed for gwTeX. Just make sure, after installing
MacTeX-2008, to select TeXLive-2008 in the TeX Distribution system
pref panel.

Bruno