[XeTeX] Where download Vanilla XeTeX

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Wed Aug 13 11:48:01 CEST 2008

Le 13 août 08 à 09:46, Paolo Matteucci a écrit :

> I have a related question, hopefully an easy one: I have XeTeX 0.996
> for Mac OS 10.4 (PPC) included in my TeX Live 2007 installation,
> which I've tried to keep up-to-date with Gerben Wierda's i-
> Installer. From what I have gathered from the discussions here, I
> believe I'm interested in features of version 0.997+. How do I
> upgrade to the latest version of XeTeX? The i-Installer (v2.89
> [Build 2.91]) doesn't give me the option to upgrade any further. :-?
>
> I don't think only the binaries (http://minimals.contextgarden.net/current/bin/xetex/osx-ppc/bin/
> ) would do, since I believe I have to regenerate the format(s), etc.

The easy way: wait a few more weeks until MacTeX-2008, based on
TeXLive-2008, is released.

The less easy way: compile and install XeTeX from source. Specifically:

- Make sure Xcode is installed (from either your Mac's or the OS X's
DVDs).

- Download the XeTeX source http://scripts.sil.org/svn-view/xetex/TRUNK.tar.gz
  (contains release 0.999.6 as of today), or you prefere a bit more
stability http://scripts.sil.org/svn-view/xetex/TAGS.tar.gz (contains
release 0.999.0).

- Decompress and unarchive it, so as to get a folder TRUNK or TAGS say
on your Desktop.

- In Terminal, cd into this folder then type:

	sh build-xetex
	sudo sh install-xetex

That's all! The first instruction creates the xetex and xdvipdfmx
binaries, and the second instruction installs these binaries together
with the latest versions of related packages (fontspec,, xunicode
etc.) at the appropriate places inside the texmf trees, regenerate the
formats, and so forth.

Bruno Voisin