[XeTeX] polyglossia bug (?) and conflict with "ledpar"

Florian Grammel florian.grammel at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 13:36:37 CEST 2008

I just happily replaced babel with polyglossia 1.0.1 (from CTAN) and
ran into two problems, both exemplyfied in the minimal example attached:

a) using font-commands like \textit inside polyglossia's "other
language"-commands works as expected. But having e.g. \textfrench{...}
outside one of these formatings doesn't have any effect on the output.
Babel renders both usages as italics - so I hoped polyglossia would,
too.

b) calling the package "ledpar" in the header of my document I still
get the same polyglossia-behaviour as described in a) when changing
the language with \text<lang>-command. Strangely enough the
\begin{lang}-environment does display italics in both cases, *but*
inserts the language's name and a "]" into the text, where the switch
occurs.

Are there any chances of getting this fixed or should I keep on using
babel for the time being?
Best regards,
Florian.