[XeTeX] lineno breaks with \setsansfont{FreeSans}

Soe Naung ashinpan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 11:03:50 CEST 2008

Hi! all

I have found the lineno package (with my TexLive distro  on Ubuntu) acting
quite awkwardly when the default sans font is set to FreeSans.

The following is part of my preamble:

\usepackage[left,pagewise,modulo]{lineno}

\linenumbers

\setsansfont[Mapping=tex-text]{FreeSans}

In the output PDF, the line numbers run in each page like this:
"7 32 37 42 47 52 57 62 67"

But when I changed the sansfont to another font, say, Tahoma, it becomes
normal again.

But neither the log or aux file doesn't tell me anything about the problem.
It was only a lucky stroke when I happened to change the sans font.

Can someone kindly tell me:

1. whether it is a XeTeX bug or FreeSans font problem?
2. whether there is some way to judge a font if it may raise such a problem.

Thanking in Advance

Ven. Pandita