[XeTeX] Beamer and Hyperref in xelatex

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Apr 30 17:35:41 CEST 2008

Am 30.04.2008 um 16:57 schrieb Ulrike Fischer:

>> texlive needs utf8x. It doesn't give anything with just utf8.
>
> "texlive" is not an application but a large bundle of applications and
> files. It doesn't make sense to say that "texlive" needs utf8x.

The LaTeX 3 team discourages the use of Dominique Unruh's utf8x
package, which also ran out of support. I agree that for use with
pdfTeX and an UTF-8 based source file encoding in which not only
Latin characters are used, the utf8x package is necessary – but only
in this case! XeTeX is by itself an Unicode application that only
accepts UTF encodings (8 or 16 bit based ones, I think) that does not
needs to be taught to do so. It's also capable of detecting itself
the kind of UTF encoding in the source file. Only editors or printing
sub-systems need to be told what kind of file this is.

--
Greetings

   Pete

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they
start selling vacuum cleaners.
				– Ernest Jan Plugge