[XeTeX] XeTeX and Vista

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Sun Apr 27 21:43:29 CEST 2008

Jonathan Kew schrieb:
> On 27 Apr 2008, at 8:12 pm, Arno Trautmann wrote:
>
>> Ulrike Fischer schrieb:

>>> Your code works fine for me (with Arial), but I have WinXP. You could
>>> try to separate the two steps to get more info:
>>>
>>> xetex --no-pdf test
>> That doesn‘t work. Just the same as with pdf.
>>
>>> xdvipdfmx -vv test
>>>
>>> And you could try to (re)build the caches:
>>>
>>> fc-cache --verbose  or
>>> fc-cache --verbose --force
>> That seemed to work. But I get the outputs ”skipping“, ”misssing
>> directory“, ”permission denied“,
>
> It sounds to me like maybe you need to run fc-cache as an
> Administrator; I think Vista is preventing fc-cache or xetex (which
> would normally do it automatically) from updating the fontconfig
> cache file in the Windows Fonts directory.
>
> I don't know exactly how to do that, though; I'm not a Windows user.

Actually quite easy: right-click on it and choose ”run as administrator“
(or like that, I‘m on a german system).
I‘ve done that and now get the output, compiling this code:

\\font\myfont = DS-Kurrent at 14pt
\myfont test
\bye

„makemf: The DS-Kurrent source file could not be found.
Running hbf2gf...

hbf2gf (CJK ver. 4.7.0)

Couldn't find `DS-Kurre.cfg'
maketfm: No creation rule for font DS-Kurrent.“

Nevertheless I get the correct output in the font I want.
(I tried earlier to run xetex as adminstrator, but that didn‘t work.)

Thanks again,
Arno