[XeTeX] Four Initial - General Problems with files

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sat Apr 26 04:34:37 CEST 2008

Hi Sotiris,

On 26/04/2008, at 10:37 AM, snvv wrote:
> Sorry for the double email but I forgotten to include some files
> with the
> problems for your reference,
>
> Sorry again
>
> Sotiris
>

> --- Follow my previous mail ----
>
> Hello
> Recently I started using lattex and I have four problems.
>
> 1st. When I use the xy-pic package to produce some graphs the
> quality of the
> graph (especially the circle) is really bad. On the other had using
> tex the
> output is really nice either as dvi, ps or pdf.

see below for this one.

> 2nd. When I type a formula (i.e $\left\{ y_{t}\right\}_{t=1}^
> {\infty}$ ) the
> letter is not of the center of {}.

It is centered to best enclose what *might* be there, not what
actually *is* there.  See the top line in the attached image, showing
what you would get also with  A\,y_{t}  inside the braces.

BTW, the \left and \right are redundant in this case; you get exactly
the same with these left out altogether -- 2nd line in attached image.

If your contents was a little larger, or you just want the braces
to be larger, you can use  \bigl  and  \bigr  explicitly;
viz.

   $\bigl\{ y_{t}\bigr\}_{t=1}^{\infty}$
   \qquad $\bigl\{A\,y_{t}^{}\bigr\}_{t=1}^{\infty}$

see the 3rd line in the attached image, for the result.

Often it is better to put in the \bigl  ( or \Bigl or ... )
explicitly like this, rather than rely upon \left .... \right .

> 3nd. How can I use a different math character set? I have find the
> \setmathrm{Minion Pro} but then i don't have bold, italics etc. I
> would like
> something more general.

Full math support in XeTeX has not been completed yet.
Look at the Fourier and  TeX Gyre projects for alternatives.

> 4th. How can I use the tex fonts? Now I can use all the ttf fonts
> but none
> afm, tfm, type1 etc

TeX fonts still work with XeTeX.
Don't use  \setmainfont   and you will get these.

But when you want to use Kerkis  then you'll need to have setup
a command, or environment, and delimit those portions.

> I apologize if the questions are really simple, but I don't have
> solution even
> after extensive googling and reading.

No, these are not really simple questions.
The best solutions involve the interaction of different pieces
of software.