[XeTeX] XeLaTeX and Mathematics

Andrew Moschou andmos at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 10:08:51 CEST 2008

Thanks, Will (although you didn't answer my questions).

>  It's way too late for me to be replying coherently, but this looks
>  like a good start. I've got the stalled attempt of a package to do
>  exactly this sort of thing:
>   <http://scripts.sil.org/svn-public/xetex/TRUNK/texmf/source/xelatex/unicode-math/>
>  (It's a bit of a mess but vaguely works. Not unlike most things I do.)

I am aware of this, but I'm not convinced it does what I want, it
seems overkill for it, also it is very immature.

>  The crux of the matter is that to do the job properly you need proper
>  font support, which doesn't exist yet (besides Microsoft's proprietary
>  Cambria Math; Apostolos' Asana Math is a fantastic start, and the
>  final version of the STIX fonts should work, too). However, in some
>  cases you can fake proper font support pretty well (using an italic
>  font) and this is something that my package should do but doesn't
>  currently.

This faking (with an italic) is what I'm trying. I don't like Cambria,
Apostolos Syropoulos did a great job with Asana Math, but Palatino can
get tiring, Times is boring (can't download STIX fonts at the moment
anyway, but I did once before, don't know where I put them). So,
without other OpenType mathematics fonts, things will be difficult.

>  I can't admit to needing any more distractions from my PhD, but if
>  you're interested in looking into this in more detail we should catch
>  up for a coffee (or rather, chocolate). Other list members may be
>  surprised to learn that we live in the same city :)

Quite more than that: we both belong to the same department at the
same university.

>  Best regards,
>  Will
>
>  P.S. I suspect that fontspec's [no-math] option is what fixed up
>  whatever problems you were having with those conditionals about
>  certain maths packages being loaded. But I'm not really sure…

No, I don't think so. I was having problems trying to redefine capital
greek letters e.g. \Phi. I tried just then with and without no-math,
also the TeX Live 2007 version of fontspec, but I couldn't reproduce
the issue.