[XeTeX] XeLaTeX and Mathematics

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 18:30:43 CEST 2008

2008/4/18 Andrew Moschou <andrew.moschou at adelaide.edu.au>:
>  I have here something that tries to combine XeLaTeX and mathematics

Hi Andrew,

It's way too late for me to be replying coherently, but this looks
like a good start. I've got the stalled attempt of a package to do
exactly this sort of thing:
  <http://scripts.sil.org/svn-public/xetex/TRUNK/texmf/source/xelatex/unicode-math/>
(It's a bit of a mess but vaguely works. Not unlike most things I do.)

The crux of the matter is that to do the job properly you need proper
font support, which doesn't exist yet (besides Microsoft's proprietary
Cambria Math; Apostolos' Asana Math is a fantastic start, and the
final version of the STIX fonts should work, too). However, in some
cases you can fake proper font support pretty well (using an italic
font) and this is something that my package should do but doesn't
currently.

I can't admit to needing any more distractions from my PhD, but if
you're interested in looking into this in more detail we should catch
up for a coffee (or rather, chocolate). Other list members may be
surprised to learn that we live in the same city :)

Best regards,
Will

P.S. I suspect that fontspec's [no-math] option is what fixed up
whatever problems you were having with those conditionals about
certain maths packages being loaded. But I'm not really sure…