[XeTeX] Kerning support

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Thu Apr 17 09:54:54 CEST 2008

Hello

I sense that the next TeXLive is fairly imminent, and wonder if it will include any support for individual kerning pairs that users could apply to a font (without going into the font's own tables themselves) at the point of invoking it with the \font command.  This has come up a few times in the list, and I would personally find it extremely useful in fine-tuning the appearance of a font to be able to construct a table of pairs in a simple file that is applied when the font is being used.

For example, people have noticed that Minion Pro produces very tight spacing in some contexts where a closing quotation mark/apostrophe is adjacent to punctuation, and rather than inserting a global \kern 0.075em (or whatever) at every occurrence it would be neater to solve the problem with a separate list, which could be tweaked and added to as problems come up - and also of course removed if future releases of the font turn out to have dealt with the matter.

Best

John