[XeTeX] : Re: wrong uccode of ß

Adam Twardoch list.adam at twardoch.com
Mon Apr 14 12:55:37 CEST 2008

Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> I have the impression they are a bit mixing the meaning "LATIN CAPITAL
> LETTER SHARP S" and the look. I agree that a char with the meaning
> "LATIN CAPITAL LETTER SHARP S" is necessary. It would also solve the
> lowercase problem.  But why can this char not have some times the look
> "ß" (if it can't be avoided) and sometimes "SS" or even "SZ"?

Ulrike,

the Unicode Standard does not prescribe the exact shape of ANY
character, and especially not of any letter. After all, we have many
different kinds of the letter "a" or "g". Andreas Stötzner has prepared
an exhaustive study of different (and still not all) possible stylistic
variants of the uppercase ß:

http://www.signographie.de/cms/upload/pdf/SIGNA9_SHARP_S_variants.pdf
http://www.signographie.de/cms/upload/pdf/SIGNA9_SHARP_S_howto.pdf

--

Adam Twardoch
| Language Typography Unicode Fonts OpenType
| twardoch.com | silesian.com | fontlab.net
| Marchlewskistr. 24 | D-10243 Berlin | Germany |
| mobile +4917620114051 | Berlin +493021237390 |