[XeTeX] I just installed XeTex...

Dominik Gront dgront at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 00:03:39 CEST 2008

Dear Group,

I just installed XeTex on my Mac (Mac OS X 10.4.10) using TeXLive
binary distribution.
I opened my favorite vi editor and typed:

\documentclass[10pt, a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\fontspec{Palatino}

\begin{document}
Very simple text
\end{document}

It compiles with xelatex, but the text is red in color and not
readable (strange characters). During compilation the following
message appears:
## xdv2pdf: use of uninstalled fonts (specified by filename) such as
##   [/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmroman10-regular.otf]
## is not supported; try using the xdvipdfmx driver instead.

When compiled without the two lines:
\usepackage{fontspec}
\fontspec{Palatino}

it works fine.

Could you kindly tell me what I am doing wrong?

Sincerely yours,
Dominik Gront