[XeTeX] pointing angle brackets

Sven Siegmund sven.siegmund at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 12:21:40 CEST 2008

Hello, I cannot typeset two characters:

U+2329 LEFT-POINTING ANGLE BRACKET
U+232A RIGHT-POINTING ANGLE BRACKET

The only fonts on my system, which contain these characters are the
DejaVu series (free to download). Nevertheless these signs do not get
typeset.

I have written the characters directly into the unicode encoded
tex-file (they are embracketing the string "file path"). But what I
get in the resulting PDF are empty squares. )-:

I can of course use the sign for "greater than" and "lower than"
instead of these pointing brackets, but i think the pointing brackets
are typographically more correct in this case, arent't they?

My source:

\documentclass[a4paper,twoside]{article}
\usepackage[english]{babel} % english typesetting
\usepackage{xunicode} % handle Unicode
\usepackage{xltxtra} % XeTeX extras
\usepackage{fontspec} % access TTF/OTF fonts
\usepackage{natbib} % cite references
\usepackage{array} % for better tables
\usepackage{multind} % for multiple indexes
\usepackage{verbatim} % for comment environments
\setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{DejaVu Serif} % use this font and
handle `` "" -- ---
%\setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Charis SIL} % use this font and handle
`` "" -- ---
\setmonofont[Mapping=tex-text,Scale=MatchLowercase]{DejaVu Sans Mono}
% use this mono font.
\setsansfont[Mapping=tex-text,Scale=MatchLowercase]{DejaVu Sans} % use
this sans font.
\setmathrm[Mapping=tex-text]{DejaVu Serif}

\providecommand{\pycmd}[1]{\texttt{#1}} %write Python commands with this

\begin{document}

\section{Four different ways to run Python source code}

\begin{enumerate}
	\item Have source code written in a file and run \pycmd{python "〈file
path〉"} in the command line.
\end{enumerate}

\end{document}