[XeTeX] l: Re: problems with fontspec and german sharp s ligature

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Tue Apr 8 12:59:57 CEST 2008

Hi

Of course you would only hyphenate Grüs-se in a very narrow measure where
you were allowing just  two letters to be taken over.  However, my Duden
Rechtschreibung, which has the new spelling rules highlighted in red, does
not allow -ss- in that word anyway:  it still gives Grüße with eszett for
the plural.  The new rules were an attempt by a committee (of course) to
achieve some harmony between German, Austrian, and Swiss usage but they have
ended up pleasing no one.  (The Frankfurter Allgemeiner has refused to
implement them and so far no one there has been struck by lightning.)

Gruß

John