[XeTeX] problems with fontspec and german sharp s ligature

Rembrandt Wolpert wolpert at uark.edu
Tue Apr 8 09:01:59 CEST 2008

When I replace "s with ß in your example it produces the right output for me
(I don't have Arno Pro, but the others work).

You might not want the line \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc} in XeTeX. The idea
of XeTeX is that we use unicode encoding and enter the language (here
German) as it is really written (i.e., mit Umlauten). Even the input looks
then German :-).

Rembrandt

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 5:40 AM, Niels Provos <provos at citi.umich.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using XeTeX 3.141592-0.996 (Web2C 7.5.6) on Mac OS X and am
> running into some curious problems with the German sz ligature:
>
>  - The sz ligature never gets shown in italic
>  - The font for the sz ligature cannot be changed
>
> The problem occurs only when I include the fontspec package:
>
> ---
> \documentclass{scrbook}
> \usepackage{xunicode,fontspec,xltxtra}
> \usepackage[german]{babel}
> \selectlanguage{german}
> \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
>
> \defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
> \setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Adobe Garamond Pro}
> \setsansfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Lucida Grande}
>
> \begin{document}
> \Huge
>
> % in regular font, italic
> {\itshape Au"serdem Au{^^^^00df}erdem }
> % sz does not show up as italic
>
> % all letters but sz in right font,
> % however, sz always shows up in the wrong font
> \fontspec{Lucida Grande}
> Au"serdem Au{^^^^00df}erdem
>
> \fontspec{Arno Pro}
> Au"serdem Au{^^^^00df}erdem
>
> {\itshape Au"serdem Au{^^^^00df}erdem}
>
> \end{document}
> ---
>
> The sz ligature always shows up as regular Adobe Garamond Pro, never
> in italic nor in any of the other fonts.
>
> When I remove fontspec, the sz ligature shows up correctly with \itshape.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thank you,
>  Niels.

人有不為也而後可有為