[XeTeX] Many warnings when compile beamer presentation using XeLaTex

Andreas Matthias amat at kabsi.at
Sun Apr 6 23:18:45 CEST 2008

Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> Am Sun, 06 Apr 2008 19:12:50 +0200 schrieb Andreas Matthias:
>
>> Ulrike Fischer wrote:

>>> Yes, it is tedious to minimize a document. But one the whole I would
>>> prefer if you do this work instead of hoping that the other do it for
>>> you. Your problem can be reproduce with a more simpler document:
>>
>> I cannot reproduce it. Neither do I have problems with your example
>> nor with Steven's.
>
> Did you run it in the two-step-modus (or with --output-driver="xdvipdfmx
> -vv")? xdvipfmx can be quite silent when you use only xelatex.
>
> In any case: my log shows clearly that hyperref loads hdvips.

You are right. The original beamer.cls fools hyperref and causes the
dvips driver to be loaded. I had a modified beamer.cls, in which the
following two definitions of \pdfoutput were removed.

  %
  % Ensure that \pdfoutput is defined. Might be removed at some point.
  %
  \ifx\pdfoutput\@undefined \newcount\pdfoutput \fi
  \ifx\pdfoutput\relax \newcount\pdfoutput \fi

Hyperref tries to detect the correct TeX-engine but is mislead by
these two lines. It thinks pdftex is running in DVI mode because
\pdfoutput is defined and has the value 0. That's why it loads the
dvips driver.

I thinks this should be fixed in beamer. But last time I tried to
contact Till Tantau I didn't get any response.

Ciao
Andreas