[XeTeX] XeLaTex does *not* work with `thebibliography' in *beamer*

Steven Woody narkewoody at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 14:26:39 CEST 2008

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 7:42 PM, Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew at sil.org> wrote:

>  On 6 Apr 2008, at 11:49 am, Steven Woody wrote:
>
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > I use xelatex to create Chinese presentations that is document in
>  > `beamer' class.  It is okay except I can not use the 'thebibliography'
>  > environment anywhere in my docuemtn.  If I do that, xelatex will
>  > report an error as blow and stop:
>  >
>  > ! LaTeX Error: File `beamericonarticle.bb' not found.
>  >
>  > I guess it is a graphic file which represent those article icons in a
>  > bibliography item.  Can anyone please help me.  Below are a
>  > simplification of my latex document:
>  >
>  >
>  > \documentclass[dvipdfm,hyperref=
>  > {bookmarksopen=false,pdfstartview=FitH}
>  >     ]{beamer}
>
>  Don't pass 'dvipdfm' as a global option; that is misleading the
>  graphicx package. Simply removing it may well help; then graphicx
>  should automatically use the proper xetex.def driver.

If I removed the 'dvipdfm' option from the `\documentclass' command,
the XeLaTex does not compile at all, it simply report:

! Package pgfsys Error: Driver file ``pgfsys-xetex.def'' not found..

What do I do?  Thank you.

>  If you need the dvipdfm option (e.g., for hyperref), then specify
>  that in a separate \usepackage line. (But I don't think it should be
>  needed at all.)
>

>  > \mode<presentation>
>  > {
>  >     %\usetheme{Warsaw}
>  >     \usetheme{Frankfurt}
>  >     \setbeamercovered{transparent}
>  >     \usecolortheme{seahorse}
>  >     \usecolortheme{rose}
>  >     \usefonttheme[onlylarge]{structuresmallcapsserif}
>  >     \usefonttheme[onlysmall]{structurebold}
>  >     \setbeamercolor{title}{fg=red!80!black,bg=red!20!white}
>  > }
>  >
>  > \usepackage{pgf,pgfarrows,pgfnodes,pgfautomata,pgfheaps,pgfshade}
>  > \usepackage{amsmath,amssymb}
>  > \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
>
>  Surely you shouldn't use inputenc for a UTF-8 document in xelatex.
>
>  JK

woody

then sun rose thinly from the sea and the old man could see the other
boats, low on the water and well in toward the shore, spread out
across the current.