[XeTeX] Japanese line breaking

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Fri Sep 28 20:44:55 CEST 2007

> But returning to my question, does AS have bad typographers or why do they do
> it another way? Please help me in my confusion :)

  I really don't know much about it, but I was recently pointed to a
talk about that precise subject, held at TUG'04
(http://project.ktug.or.kr/omega-cjk/).  It explains how to achieve this
using Omega's OTPs; the source files are also available.  Now, I
contacted the author recently and he told me about “weak” kinsoku,
namely, that you are allowed to break before small kanas.  If you look
at the OTPs you sees that a \penalty500 is inserted before small kanas
and iteration characters, unlike \penalty10000 (the maximum) before
closing brackets, full stops, etc.

	Arthur