[XeTeX] Restoring text to the default English font in Latex/fontspec/Bidi

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Tue Sep 18 02:07:10 CEST 2007

sjo a écrit :
> Any help with the following would be much appreciated.
> In a bidi (English/Hebrew) setting, how do I set matters up so that
> the default English font is the standard CMR fonts (or some font say
> FENG) and in the bidi/Hebrew mode the standard font is say David (or
> some font FHEB). Here is a little test file that illustrates my
> problem.
> ==========
> \documentclass[12pt]{book}
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
> \usepackage[cm-default]{fontspec,xunicode,xltxtra}
> \usepackage{bidi}
> \setmainfont[Script=Hebrew]{FrankRuehl}
> \newfontfamily\hfd[Script=Hebrew,Scale=0.92]{David}
> \begin{document}
> %%A
> This text should be in CMR as cm-dfault was set.
> %%B
> \beginR\setRL Hebrew stuff in FrankRuehl in right to left mode
> \hfd Hebrew stuff in David in right to left
> %%C
> \beginL\setLR I would like this text to be in CMR say, how do I do this?

First of all I think you misunderstand the fontspec option cm-default.
You've overriden it by specifying \setmainfont.

Here is what I did to achieve what you want. Note that I needed to
change the fonts since I only have Type1 versions of Frank Ruehl and David.

\newfontfamily\ezra[Script=Hebrew]{Ezra SIL}
\newfontfamily\adobeh[Script=Hebrew,Scale=0.92]{Adobe Hebrew}

This text is in Latin Modern because no font was specified.

עברית : Hebrew stuff in Ezra in right to left mode

\adobeh עברית : Hebrew stuff in Adobe Hebrew in right to left

\setLR This is again left to right with default roman font.

%You can also simplify the above by defining an Hebrew environment:

See the attached pdf file.