[XeTeX] Using tipa.sty with XeLaTeX

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Tue Sep 11 00:25:26 CEST 2007

Hi Alexej,

On 11/09/2007, at 12:34 AM, Alexej Kryukov wrote:

> On Monday 10 September 2007 16:18, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
>>> Which is preferred, \ezh or \textezh? Should \EZH be changed to
>>
>>   TIPA calls it \textyogh, which doesn't really help (see the manual
>> for it, Appendix A; on TeX Live 2007 it's
>> texmf-dist/doc/fonts/tipa/tipaman.tex page 45); but it would probably
>> be more consistent to call everything \text...
>
> U+0292 is certainly the LATIN SMALL LETTER EZH, not to be mixed with
> U+02D1 LATIN SMALL LETTER YOGH. BTW I have no ideas why xunicode.sty

Is that a typo?  U+02D1 is a modifier letter (half triangular colon) .
Did you mean  U+0291  LATIN SMALL LETTER Z WITH CURL ?

> identifies the later with U+0293 (LATIN SMALL LETTER EZH WITH CURL).

It doesn't; U+0293 is the curly-tailed version:

\DeclareUTFcharacter[\UTFencname]{x0293}{\textctyogh}

TIPA has:
\DeclareTextSymbolDefault\textctyogh{T3}         % Curly-tail Yogh

I'm no expert, but it seems from Arthur's message that IPA itself
draws no distinction between ezh and yogh .
Within  xunicode.sty  I just tried to make macro definitions that
would allow documents using  tipa.sty  to work adequately in XeLaTeX.

If macros are incorrectly named in  tipa.sty  then that will continue
to be propagated in  xunicode.sty  unless there is a critical clash
with other standard LaTeX packages. In some of these cases I have
attempted to fix this, but really need help from experts in the field
to do it properly.

As a result of this thread I have prepared a small modification to
  xunicode.sty (ver 0.9), but won't release it for a few days yet,
in case there is more that should be done, resulting from expert
advice.

> --
> Regards,
> Alexey Kryukov <anagnost {at} yandex {dot} ru>
>
> Moscow State University
> Historical Faculty

Hope this helps,

	Ross