[XeTeX] Using tipa.sty with XeLaTeX

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon Sep 10 22:24:02 CEST 2007

Hi Arthur, Jonathan, and others,

On 11/09/2007, at 4:34 AM, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:

>> U+0292 is certainly the LATIN SMALL LETTER EZH, not to be mixed with
>> U+02D1 LATIN SMALL LETTER YOGH.
>
>   Indeed, thanks for the hint. The former was called “LATIN SMALL
> LETTER
> YOGH” in Unicode 1, and is still called yogh by the IPA (hence the
> name
> \textyogh in tipa.sty); it surely doesn't help clearing the issue.

And doubtless the reason why I chose that for  xunicode.sty .

>   Anyway, people might wonder why this would show up in Chandra's
> example where there only are the IPA transcriptions for the English
> words
> “thesis” and “hypothesis”, and therefore no ezh. The reason is this
> faulty line in the definition of \activatetipa:
>
> 	\def 2{\textezh}%
>
>   This should be \def 2{\textturnv} (again, see the IPA manual: 2 is
> used to transcribe the lower-mid back unrounded vowel, U+028C LATIN
> SMALL LETTER TURNED V, which is the ‘u’ in “cup” or the first ‘o’ in
> “London”).

It looks like there are some other assignments made in \activatetipa
that may not be correct; viz.
    \def B{\ss}%
    \def G{\textbabygamma}%
    \def U{\textscupsilon}%
    \def Z{\textezh}%
    \def 3{\textvarepsilon}%
ought to be
    \def B{\textbeta}%
    \def G{\textgamma}%
    \def U{\textupsilon}%
    \def Z{\textyogh}%
    \def 3{\textrevepsilon}%

>>                                 BTW I have no ideas why xunicode.sty
>> identifies the later with U+0293 (LATIN SMALL LETTER EZH WITH CURL).
>
>   The phonetics part of xunicode could probably use a bit of cleanup.

Sure.
Back in April 2006 I wrote on this list:

>>> From: Ross Moore <ross at ics.mq.edu.au>
>>> Subject: Re: [XeTeX] xunicode.sty -- pinyin and TIPA shortcuts
>>> Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 09:36:22 +1000
>>> To: Unicode-based TeX for Mac OS X <xetex at tug.org>

>>> know
>>>
>>> Neither do I.
>>> I just looked for what seemed to be the best way to implement
>>> the intention of existing LaTeX commands from various standard
>>> packages, using the "Character Palette" to see what sensible
>>> options are available.
>>>
>>> It's quite possible that  xunicode.sty  has some errors, where
>>> I didn't make the best choice. It's up to the experts in appropriate
>>> fields to inform me (or Jonathan) of any such mistakes.

There was a little bit of further discussion in that thread,
but nothing much seems to have been done.

Surely it is best to get the errors fixed as soon as possible.

> 	Arthur

Cheers,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au