[XeTeX] Using tipa.sty with XeLaTeX

R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar chandra at ee.uwa.edu.au
Mon Sep 10 07:24:59 CEST 2007

Dear Folks,

I am trying to compile a file with IPA phonetic characters originally typeset
with the tipa.sty package and compiled with LaTeX.  I am now trying to compile
it with XeLaTeX but have run into problems.

To illustrate the problem, a minimal example file is given below:
\setromanfont[Numbers=OldStyle]{Minion Pro}
\setsansfont[Numbers=OldStyle]{Myriad Pro}
\setmonofont{DejaVu Sans Mono}

\noindent \textbf{thesis}/\textipa{"Ti:sIs}/ and

Upon being compiled with xelatex, it chokes with the message:
! Undefined control sequence.

l.16 ...t\textbf{hypothesis}/\textipa{h2I"p6TIsIs}

FYI, I am using TeXLive 2007 on a Kubuntu installation with fontspec version
[2006/12/24 v1.13 Advanced font selection for XeLaTeX].

How should I proceed please?

10 Sep 07