[XeTeX] XETEX \special commands changed for xdvipdfmx?

Paul Howson paul-lists at tdgq.com.au
Mon Sep 10 03:52:10 CEST 2007

On 07/09/2007, at 5:22 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> This seems very odd; apparently a shell (sh) process is complaining
> that it can't find ghostscript (gs). But why would it be trying to
> run gs at all? The only thing I can think of would be if your
> dvipdfmx.cfg setup tries to support the automatic conversion of
> graphics from one format to another.
>
> Can you try paring this down to a minimal document that still
> exhibits the problem, and if that process doesn't lead you to an
> answer by itself, then post it for me (or others) to try?

I have run more tests pared down to basics. The problem noted above
(shell process looking for ghostscript) is triggered by a file with a
single command of the form:

\hbox{\XeTeXpdffile logo.pdf }

where logo.pdf is a (vector) pdf file of a logo. This line is the
culprit.

As Jonathon says, why would dvipdfmx need ghostscript to include an
existing pdf file in the output?

Any help or suggestions for getting this working appreciated.

Paul Howson
Queensland, Australia.