[XeTeX] Updating XeTeX (plain) for PS Tricks

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Sat Sep 8 16:11:29 CEST 2007

Hi

I presume GhostScript is installed as I'm using the TeXLive installation.
(I do have GhostScript anyway for my normal EmTeX, but it is a different
version on a different area of my computer.)

I have forgotten how to set the PATH environment (it's been years since I
had to do that as the 4AllTeX CD does all the setting up for me) - again, I
presume there is no problem with this as it should be taken care of in
TeXLive (I am in any case getting valid output to PDF for TeX files that I
process where PSTricks is not involved).

I've also forgotten how to get console output to pipe to a file!  I thought
it was just a matter of typing '> filename.asc' to redirect console output
to a file, but that didn't work.  However, I seem to have managed to cut and
paste the relevant bits from the screen and there are indeed errors reported
(in addition, I can tell you that the PSTricks \scalebox command halts
processing with an 'undefined control sequence' error - but perhaps that is
because the errors reported below are halting the input of PSTricks itself
so that it never gets to the definition of \scalebox):

C:\TeXLive2007\bin\win32>xetex --no-pdf pstrexp.tex
This is XeTeXk, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.996 (Web2C 7.5.6)
 %&-line parsing enabled.
entering extended mode
(c:/TeXLive2007/texmf-dist/tex/plain/#jwfiles/pstrexp.tex
(c:/TeXLive2007/texmf-dist/tex/generic/pstricks/pstricks.tex
`PSTricks' v1.15  <2006/12/22> (tvz)
(c:/TeXLive2007/texmf/tex/xetex/xetex-pstricks/pstricks.con
(c:/TeXLive2007/texmf/tex/generic/xetex-pstricks/xetex-pstricks.con))
(c:/TeXLive2007/texmf/tex/xetex/xetex-pstricks/pstricks.con
(c:/TeXLive2007/texmf/tex/generic/xetex-pstricks/xetex-pstricks.con))) [1] )
Output written on pstrexp.xdv (1 page, 1024 bytes).
Transcript written on pstrexp.log.

C:\TeXLive2007\bin\win32>xdvipdfmx pstrexp.xdv

** WARNING ** Couldn't open font map file "psbase14.map".
** WARNING ** Couldn't open font map file "pdfmfnt.map".
pstrexp.xdv -> pstrexp.pdf
[1
** WARNING ** Unparsed material at end of special ignored.

Current input buffer is -->header=pstricks.pro<--

** WARNING ** Unparsed material at end of special ignored.

Current input buffer is -->header=pst-dots.pro<--

** WARNING ** Unparsed material at end of special ignored.

Current input buffer is -->pst: tx at Dict begin STP newpath 0.8 SLW 0. setgray
<--

** WARNING ** Unparsed material at end of special ignored.

Current input buffer is -->PST: tx at Dict begin 90 Rot  end<--

** WARNING ** Unparsed material at end of special ignored.

Current input buffer is -->PST: tx at Dict begin -90 Rot  end<--
]
6351 bytes written

Here is the .TEX file that causes this:

\nopagenumbers
\input pstricks
This is some text.\par
%This is some \scalebox{-1 1}{reversed text}
Scalebox doesn't work (causes an `undefined control sequence' error).\par
\psline{->}(1cm,2cm)(5cm,3cm)(7cm,-8cm)\par
Neither does psline though it doesn't halt processing.\par
\rput(4cm,-5cm){Moveable text}\par
But rput does.\par
And this \rotateleft{should be rotated left.}\par
TeX allows for it to be but in fact it isn't.\par

.\vfill \eject \bye

I attach the resulting PDF.

Best

John