[XeTeX] no pdf?

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Fri Sep 7 15:42:53 CEST 2007

On Sep 7, 2007, at 9:26 AM, John Was wrote:

> The Mac seems to have won out yet again (I really must take the
> plunge!).
>
> I run it from the command line, but haven't yet made the adjustment
> recommended ages ago by Jonathan which would generate the PDF in
> the same
> directory as the source file (at present it pops up in the same
> directory as
> the XeTeX program itself).  That's just a matter of my own
> housekeeping,
> though, and it couldn't (I think) make any difference to the
> situation.
>
> Does the Mac keep you on the page you are viewing already,
> incidentally?
> That's what I'm used to in DVIWindo, but with XeTeX I obviously get
> the
> first page of the PDF on screen when I call up the newly generated
> version.

Yes, most Mac OS X TeX editors make use of Mac OS X's .pdf
capabilities to integrate viewing the typeset result --- there's even
an option to synchronize between the windows.

You may be able to set your pdf viewing program on Windows to
remember where you last were in a .pdf --- some versions of Acrobat
support this.

You may find Sumatra PDF of interest:

http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/

It's the viewer which I use in conjunction w/ Dirk Struve's TeXShell
for Windows:

http://www.projectory.de/texshell/index.html

I posted a button setup for it to usenet:comp.text.tex a while back.

There're also scripts which will help out on this front --- LyX comes
w/ some if memory serves, or maybe one of the other Windows editors
has better support though --- list of them here:

http://www.itsfd.de/texwin/index.php?site=vcat&cat=33&lang=en

William

--
William Adams