[XeTeX] Updating XeTeX (plain) for PS Tricks

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Sep 7 10:13:00 CEST 2007

On 7 Sep 2007, at 8:56 am, John Was wrote:

> Hi
>
> On looking properly at what I had done to get PSTricks to work with
> XeTeX, I realized that I had only made the change specified in the
> PSTricks support page - viz. replacing the TeXLive version of the
> file pstricks.con with a special version for the  xdvipdfmx  driver.
>
> So I think I now have to upgrade the driver itself but I can't
> immediately see where to do this - basically all I need to know is
> what files to download and where to put them in the TeXLive
> installation.

Which platform are you using? For Windows, I think the prerelease
"xetex-dev" version available from Akira's W32TeX page would include
an updated driver, so it should work. <http://
www.fsci.fuk.kindai.ac.jp/kakuto/win32-ptex/web2c75-e.html>

For other platforms, I don't know of binary packages at the moment,
so you'd need to build xdvipdfmx from source; see the "XeTeX for
Linux" page for pointers, but note that you may have to do quite a
bit of configure-time tweaking to point it at all the necessary
libraries. If you're not used to running configure, setting CFLAGS
and LDFLAGS, etc., it may be a bit of a rough experience....

If you get the updated driver and pstricks.con installed, I'd expect
it to work with either plain or latex-based formats. The pstricks
support is all at the \special level in the driver. So it should be
independent of the overall macro package.