[XeTeX] A general suggetion formanaging thefontselectionformixed-language document

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Sat Sep 1 20:32:08 CEST 2007

Dear Javier

Ah - thanks for that.  I'm stuck on the 13th edition, the one that was
current when I was working full time for a publisher.  I'm glad they've now
gone for what seems to be a more satisfactory solution, and hope that we
don't now have e.g. at sect. 17.88 an italic comma after {\it Debates\/} in
the second example but roman commas in the following two when the
punctuation serves the same function in the reference (but even in the 13th
edition I notice the roman comma after a full point in the shortened form of
the same reference, though under that edition's system it shouldn't be since
the point is short for italic {\it ates\/} and would therefore take a
following italic comma).

All these rules - and indeed our idea of what constitutes 'correct' formal
English - come from the Victorians' zeal to impose order on what was
previously a much more fluid practice.  In matters of punctuation I think
that was generally a good thing, though the rules governing the language
itself sometimes represent an unnatural and unhistorical intervention - e.g.
'the better of two' (under the influence of Latin's positive, comparative,
superlative) when good old-fashioned English (e.g. Jane Austen) is 'the best
of two', and the idea that a preposition is a bad word to end a sentence
with.  But we're rather stuck with these conventions now, I think.

Best

John