[XeTeX] A general suggetion for managing thefontselectionformixed-language document

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Sat Sep 1 18:03:05 CEST 2007

I know about the U Chicago manual, and of course it's quite correct re Wow!
As I said, the logic should be followed, and if 'Wow' is in italic, then
obviously its accompanying exclamation mark must be in italic.  But it is
eccentric in its advocation of the blanket rule (at sect. 5.4) that italic
punctuation should follow an italic character.  This may be an Atlantic
divide, of course:  after all, Americans typically put punctuation inside
closing quotation marks as a blanket rule, in clear defiance of the logic,
much to the chagrin of the Europeans (or at least the British) - I think
Princeton go with British style, though (at least they did in the 3000 pages
I set for them).  (Microsoft perpetuate the malpractice, regrettably.)

Best

John