[XeTeX] A general suggetion for managing the font selectionformixed-language document

Yin Dian yindian at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 16:22:49 CEST 2007

Hi,

I'm afraid you can't apply the way of adding space between Chinese and
English to adjusting kern pairs for italic correction. I'm using
\XeTeXinterchartoks to add macros when character class switches, rather than
kern pairs. Kern pairs is quite a good idea for spacing adjustment, which
can allow font-specific adjusting, and can simplify the effort considering
line break by defining kern pairs between a character and the margin.
However, currently XeTeX does not seem to support this feature. And, I don't
know whether there is some method to know what the previous character is
when performing a class switch, so it's hard to realizing kern pairs using
inter-character class tokens without defining a lot of classes.

Regards.

YIN Dian