[XeTeX] Opticals and math fonts

Enrico Rossi enrico.a.rossi at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 14:13:44 CET 2007

Hello!

I'm new to XeTeX (only started using it a few days ago), and I think
it's brilliant! I could never be bothered installing fonts before,
because dealing with the naming scheme and .fd,.tfm and other junk was
just too painful. I have two quick questions though:

1. Are XeTeX and fontspec sufficiently clever to automatically pick
out the correct optical font from a family? It doesn't seem that way,
but it's hard to tell.

2. The Computer Modern Roman math fonts don't look good with many
reasonable body fonts. For example, I'm trying to use Adobe Warnock,
and the combination is quite ugly. Is it possible to have XeTeX use
the main roman font's italics for math? Warnock Pro also contains
greeks, so many symbols could be covered.

Cheers,
- Enrico