[XeTeX] Dollar signs in Adobe OTF fonts

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Oct 27 11:32:32 CEST 2007

Le 27 oct. 07 à 05:44, Will Robertson a écrit :

> On 27/10/2007, at 2:48 , Easter Sunshine wrote:
>
>> While I appreciate the suggestion, tex-text mappings make less
>> sense to me than putting in actual en dashes and em dashes into the
>> source, especially since the source is UTF-8. Does this somehow
>> contradict my using \$ to typeset a dollar sign?
>
> No, since TeX/LaTeX uses $ as syntax for entering maths mode, so \$
> is essentially the only way to get the dollar sign unless you want
> to disable the usual meaning of "$". Writing the punctuation in
> unicode is a very good idea if it's convenient for you :)

If you've a liking for verbose command names, LaTeX also introduces
systematic alphabetic names for all these non-alphanumeric characters,
input normally using either commands with "odd" names such as

$ input as \$ = \textdollar
§ input as \S = \textsection

or ligatures such as

– input as -- = \textendash
— input as --- = \textemdash
¡ input as !` = \textexclamdown

and so forth.

Given you're on the Mac, you should find info on that in section 4 of

/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/doc/latex/base/encguide.pdf

and sections 3.14 and 3.15 of

/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/doc/latex/base/usrguide.pdf

Of course, that partially defeats XeTeX's philosophy, based on
Unicode. Only use the above if you're planning at one point or another
to recycle your XeLaTeX input text in a document to be typeset with
standard LaTeX (or are collaborating with co-authors using pdfLaTeX).

Bruno Voisin