[XeTeX] Dollar signs in Adobe OTF fonts

Easter Sunshine eastersunshine at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 26 03:52:02 CEST 2007

I seem to be missing something quite simple. The following short .tex file produes unexpected results with xelatex:

%&program=xelatex
%&encoding=UTF-8 Unicode

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{fontspec}
\newcommand{\MAINFONT}{Minion Pro}
\setromanfont{\MAINFONT}

\begin{document}
\$30.
\end{document}

The relevant part of the log file, I think, is:

LaTeX Font Info:    No file OT1Minion Pro(0).fd. on input line 11.
LaTeX Font Info:    Font shape `OT1/Minion Pro(0)/m/n' undefined
(Font)              using `OT1/cmr/m/n' instead
(Font)              for symbol `textdollar' on input line 11.

I have attached them also. I have been googling for both "dollar signs in xe(la)tex" and the error message itself. It seems that this problem is usually with OTF and LaTeX, not XeLaTeX. I don't remember reading anything in the docs about this, I thought OTF fonts were supposed to "just work." I even tried blindly putting in \usepackage[EU1]{fontenc} and some other stuff, but still I get strange words before dollar signs and before enumerate environment's bullets. What can I do?

Easter Sunshine.