[XeTeX] Windows Front-Ends and XeTeX

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 01:56:21 CEST 2007

On 10/17/07, Florian Grammel <grammel at gmx.net> wrote:
> I've been asked by some friends to get them going with XeLaTeX.
> As I'm Mac-only myself I was pleased to learn, that TeXLive 2007
> provides everything needed also for the those using Windows.
> Following a very positive review, we installed TeXnicCenter as a
> front-end.

You can also consider trying out MikTeX 2.7, but if one solution
works, don't change it :)

> - Could any of you recommend a good, stable, preferably free LaTeX
> editor for non-experts that _can_ be used with XeTeX?

It's not free (it starts complaining after a while, but you can still
use it), but I liked it very much as a beginner http://www.winedt.com/

I'm not sure about UTF-8. Web page indirectly claims that it provides
UTF-8 support by now (it didn't when I needed it), but still no bidi
support.

I guess that WinEdt doesn't provide any button for XeTeX yet, but it
should be easy enough to configure it to do so.

Mojca

(WinEdt is only an editor that is great for mathematics, but probably
not for exotic scripts.)