[XeTeX] Grave accent character U0060 in XeTeX?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Oct 16 13:02:23 CEST 2007

On 16 Oct 2007, at 11:33 am, J P Blevins wrote:

> I hope that this is not too far off-topic, but can anyone suggest a
> strategy for printing a grave accent character (not as a combining
> diacritic) in XeTeX. I realize that this is a more general TeX issue
> and that the character is not used in typesetting, but it is used in
> the Finno-Ugric IPA, and the smart single quote alternative is used
> with an opposite meaning ...
>
> I would be prepared to give up the use of ` ' to enter single quotes,
> if necessary, but it would be nice to be able to represent the smart
> quote in the text font (Aldus nova, in this case).

If you're prepared to use the proper Unicode quotes and dashes in
your input text, then you don't need the tex-text font mapping, which
is what converts ` (U+0060) to ‘ (U+2018), `` to “, etc. If you load
the font without any font mapping, the input characters will simply
print as themselves.

On the other hand, if you still want to use ``...'' for double
quotes, --- for em-dash, etc., you could make a modified form of the
tex-text mapping file which supports these, but omits the mapping for
the ` in isolation. Then you'd need to enter a literal ‘, or
something like \char"2018, to print the single opening quote.

Another possibility would be to use U+02CB, the grave from the
Spacing Modifier Letters block. In fact, that might be the most
appropriate choice for Finno-Ugric IPA.... I'm not really sure
offhand. Nor do I know if Aldus Nova would support this character.