[XeTeX] FontSite 500 fonts and XeTeX

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Fri Oct 12 20:41:38 CEST 2007

On Oct 12, 2007, at 2:17 PM, Barry Schwartz wrote:

> My understanding is that they actually are supposed to be a separate
> development path from outlines upon which the bigger foundries'
> digital fonts are based. The main reason they might not be as good as
> other branches is that Sean Cavanaugh isn't that interested in making
> them better and raising their worth, because he doesn't really like
> working on fonts.

Correct. Most of the outlines are derived from URW's digitization
work if memory serves.

> I forget the details but if Cavanaugh isn't wrong then those people
> already benefitted by getting discounts for giving the people who
> digitized their fonts for them the rights to develop and license their
> own versions. You don't get do-overs for a thing like that. Cavanaugh
> ended up with rights, he says, in lieu of uncollectable back pay as a
> result of business failure.

Lessee, one person fails to pay another, so the person who wasn't
paid can then not trouble to pay royalties to a third person --- and
this is justified?

William
(who knows some of the designers who aren't getting royalties)

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer