[XeTeX] FontSite 500 fonts and XeTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Oct 12 13:56:18 CEST 2007

On 12 Oct 2007, at 12:12 pm, Markus Bongard wrote:

> gentle persons,
>
> On Oct 12, 2007;41, at 12:26–Oct 12, 2007, R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
> wrote:
>>
>> with XeLaTeX rather than LaTeX. The fonts in any one family in this
>> CD come in
>> several TTF files rather than several OTF files. I have been trying
>> to use the
>> URW Grotesk fonts, which come in 14 files so:
>
> while you have to check with the included copyright of the fonts, by
> using fontforge <http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/> you can
> technically convert z.B.: TT to OpenType.

Note that simply converting the font format will not make any
difference; the issue is not .ttf versus .otf, but whether they are
Unicode-compliant and make use of OpenType Layout features to access
the various alternate glyphs (small caps, fractions, etc.). It's
perfectly OK to have OpenType features in .ttf-packaged fonts, and
xetex can make use of them if present, but xetex and fontspec can't
do anything special with these legacy "expert" fonts that are really
just separate, custom-encoded (non-Unicode) fonts. These require
custom handling in the application (I expect things like PageMaker or
XPress probably had some features designed to support them); in the
TeX world, the alphabet soup of .tfm, .vf, .fd, .enc, .map, etc.
provides a mechanism that could be used.

FontForge (free) or FontLab (commercial) could be used to generate
modern, Unicode-based, OpenType Layout-enabled fonts from such legacy
sets, but it's a bigger task than simply converting the fonts
from .ttf to .otf packaging. (And that's without looking into the
legalities; many font licenses would not actually allow you to do
such things.)