[XeTeX] FontSite 500 fonts and XeTeX

R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar chandra at ee.uwa.edu.au
Fri Oct 12 12:26:47 CEST 2007

Dear Folks,

I am trying to use some fonts from the FontSite 500 CD available from

http://www.fontsite.com/

with XeLaTeX rather than LaTeX. The fonts in any one family in this CD come in
several TTF files rather than several OTF files. I have been trying to use the
URW Grotesk fonts, which come in 14 files so:

URW Grotesk Bold Italic
URW Grotesk Bold
URW Grotesk Expert Bold Italic
URW Grotesk Expert Bold
URW Grotesk H Expert Heavy Italic
URW Grotesk H Expert Heavy
URW Grotesk Expert Italic
URW Grotesk Expert Regular
URW Grotesk H Heavy Italic
URW Grotesk H Heavy
URW Grotesk Italic
URW Grotesk Regular
URW Grotesk SC Bold
URW Grotesk SC Regular

Because these are not OTF fonts, invoking their features as suggested in the
fontspec manual does not give the expected results.

For example, the following test file shows the differences between Adobe Minion
Pro (OTF) and URW Grotesk (TTF):

---------------8<---------->8-------------
\documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}
%
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{xunicode}
\usepackage{xltxtra}

\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text,Scale=MatchLowercase,Ligatures=Required}

\setlength{\parindent}{0pt}

\newcommand{\sampletext}{\textsc{Book 2}~\textbf{Difficult Chapter
9}~\textit{Last Section 4} Fractional Paragraph \vfrac{5}{7}}

\begin{document}

{\fontspec[Numbers=OldStyle,BoldFont=* Semibold]{Minion Pro}%
Minion Pro:  \sampletext}

{\fontspec[Numbers=OldStyle,SmallCapsFont={* SC}]{URW Grotesk}%
URW Grotesk:  \sampletext}

\end{document}

---------------8<---------->8-------------

In the PDF putput file, Adobe Minion Pro works as expected, but URW Grotesk does
not. The oldstyle numbers are in the small caps package and cannot be invoked
separately by specifying Numbers=OldStyle, very likely because OTF and TTF
handle these features differently?

My questions about the Grotesk TTF files are these:

1. Is there a way of invoking oldstyle numbers knowing that they are in the
smallcaps file?

2. How does one invoke the ligatures and fractions in the expert package?

Many thanks.

Chandra
12 Oct 07