[XeTeX] fontspec's ExternalLocation

raven aloof ravent.aloof at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 13:24:38 CET 2007

Hi...
As a gnu/linux's user and, in this case, ubuntu, complexity is reduced to
move all the fonts to ' ~/.fonts' and make a 'mkfontscale', 'mkfontdir' and
'fc-cache -f' in this order (the order is important), to be used in
'Xe(La)TeX' ...

However, this approach involves not being able to create subdirectories in
the directory '~/.fonts'. To solve this problem, you can declare the various
directories in the file '/etc/fonts/local.conf' in the following manner.:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<!-- /etc/fonts/local.conf file to configure system font access -->

<fontconfig>

<!-- font directory list -->
<dir>~/fonts/minionPro</dir>
<dir>~/fonts/libertine</dir>
<!-- etc -->

<!-- font cache directory list -->
<cachedir>/var/cache/fontconfig</cachedir>
<cachedir>~/.fontconfig</cachedir>
<cachedir>~/fonts/.fontconfig</cachedir>
<!-- etc -->

<!-- more configurations -->

</fontconfig>

However, again, this approach has one drawback. Must be root to make such
changes, and not always the user is root...

A larger, the other drawback is the overhead for the system by having to
load all fonts...

For all this, I think ·ExternalLocation· is the most suitable option to
solve both problems.: you can have a fonts' library in directories without
the need to be root and without overburdening the system by having many
fonts...

I'm of the opinion that the fonts must be tamper with the most of all the
options available to those fonts. So, I think that XeTeX in combination with
TeX, LaTeX and ConTeXt is present and the future, as no wysiwyg will rise :)

I'm sorry for my poor English...

ISYL

raventhealoof