[XeTeX] Output file removed; Output written on...

maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Tue Nov 27 23:18:21 CET 2007

I'm trying to run a small test file through xetex, and I'm getting an odd
error msg:
   Output file removed.
   Output written on UrduFont.pdf (1 page).
The file UrduFont.pdf does not exist, so presumably the first line is
correct; I'm not sure why the second line is there.

The .log file doesn't contain any obvious errors.

The command line is simply

   xelatex UrduFont.xetex

The problem appears to be font-related; if I substitute a different font,
latex(?) doesn't complain.

Trying to debug this further, I did the
   xetex -no-pdf UrduFont.xetex
which creates a UrduFont.xdv file, and then ran
   xdvipdfmx UrduFont.xdv
which gives the error msg:
   ** ERROR ** Cannot proceed without the "native" font:
   NafeesNastaleeqv1.01 (Nafees Regular)...
(BTW, I get this same msg with both
   \newfontface\urdufont[Script=Arabic]{NafeesNastaleeqv1.01}
and
   \newfontface\urdufont[Script=Arabic]{Nafees}
in my input xetex file.)

So I presume the real problem is that xdvipdfmx isn't looking in the right
place for the Nafees font.  I tried setting the env var TEXFONTS to the
path to this font (/usr/share/fonts/local/), but predictably there was a
problem finding other fonts that aren't in that directory.

Assuming my diagnosis is correct, how do I tell xdvipdfmx what xetex
apparently can figure out on its own, namely where the Nafees font is?

   Mike Maxwell
   CASL/ U MD